Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. "

Ipomoea calantha

The first quarter I went to school at UGA in Horticulture I was terrified. I had two young children, and a 65 mile commute from Atlanta. Besides that, I had been a stay at home mom who felt like my brain had turned to mush in the midst of diaper changes, runny noses and sleep deprivation. I wasn't sure I could manage to learn anything, but I knew I needed to try.                                                                                             Acer palmatum 'Japanese Sunrise'

One of the very first assignments I got from Dr. Michael Dirr- my Woody Ornamental Plant professor- was to make a journal of at least 50 plants during the fall. The journal was to note the name, date of coloration, the color itself, and any other distinguishing features. It seemed like a relatively simple assignment, and one I could use as a baby step towards becoming a student again. It was the end of September, and the fall was on it's way. I dove in and began cataloging everything I could find that showed any color at all. Like the kindergardener who loves books but can't read a word, I spent many hours trying to identify my journal entries by every means I could think of. As the weeks went along, I was also actually learning some names and identification characteristics that were helping, and I was filling my pages with dates and names and colors.

I don't remember exactly when things began to click, but as I think back, I realize that this simple assignment was a stroke of genius, and one that hooked me forever. By having to look, I had to learn to look. By learning to look, I had to see all the shades and gradations of colors, the textures those colors make, the structure within the colors.

Muhlenbergia capillaris
Using the wonder of the autumn display, I learned to see "the forest" day by day, and to relish each member and each day. Cotinus x 'Grace'

Since that fall, there's no going back. The change in the way I see is permanent, and is a daily blessing. I have taken many pictures in many fall seasons, and never get enough. I am sharing some of those here with you, but suggest that you take Elizabeth Lawrence's advice:

"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn. "

I've made my journal. I add to it every day. Take a turn for yourself. You'll be changed forever.


Hydrangea paniculata 'Pink Diamond'

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Amethyst'
Ilex verticillata 'Winter Gold'

No comments:

Post a Comment