Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What a difference a rain makes

I am stuck inside today. It is raining now, and they say it plans to rain for the rest of the day, at least. Does that sound like a complaint? Well, ok. Maybe a little. But after years of drought coupled with intense heat, I shouldn't complain. And after time in the last month to visit gardens in the area, I am reminded- finally- of the reasons for this blog title. We've had such an abundance of good soaking rain this winter and spring. And it continues now into summer. 
Gardens are really lush this year; 
flowers are huge and abundant; colors are vibrant and rich. 

If you'll permit me this little mental exercise, I think it's been a good thing to have been so deprived. Hydrangeas, for example, have bloomed every year, even in the worst drought months. I've gotten used to small flower heads, dull colors, and quick fade.
 This year I can hardly believe the difference, and it is so energizing!


Once again I see why this is a favorite of southern gardeners.
I am almost compelled to get my tape measure out to boast about bloom size. I've been so much more attentive to pruning, because this year, the plants are growing instead of just surviving.


Textures and colors grab my attention. Conifers have been particularly robust and statuesque. While they love good drainage, it is easy to see that they love the extra water, too.

Take the time to look at the details. Take the time to share them with your gardening friends. The rain might stop any day now, but we can enjoy the results of yesterday's rain today.


Sometimes it takes rain
To make the flowers grow
Sometimes it takes real pain
Before real joy one knows
Sometimes it takes tomorrows
To understand days gone by
Sometimes before the laughter
There comes heavy sigh
Sometimes it takes the midnight hour
To value morning light
Sometimes it takes the longest mile
Before things come insight
Sometimes you often wonder
Why your heart can get so sore
But its the rocky paths in life
That makes you cherish the smooth roads more!

- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment