Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day


I got the gift of a gorgeous warm day today, and I have savored it more than a box of chocolates. I always enjoy reminders that spring will be here soon, and this winter, I have needed them.

I'm offering classes at the nursery this spring. I want to get gardeners out here. I want to show them what I love about this dirty work. But mostly I just like to talk about plants. Yesterday was the first class..."The Garden In Winter". As much as I dislike the winter weather that keeps me indoors, I do love the plants that show off in that "off" season. So...before spring sneaks up on me, I thought I might just throw out some names of the best of winter interest plants. It will give me the chance to continue talking about them
.
Helleborus x 'Pink Lady'

Helleborus foetidus




Ilex vomitoria 'Virginia Dare



Jasminum nudiflorum


Mahonia x 'Winter Sun' STILL flowering

Cyclamen hederifolium Viburnum

Prunus mume

Hope you liked this little delicious Valentine's Day bite out of my winter garden. It is just a touch of what's out there, but you get the idea....If there is a special person in your life, or even a whole handful of special people, think about giving one of these very special plants on Valentine's Day. Your friend will enjoy it every Valentine's Day ever after. And when it turns cold and gray again, as it surely will, don't forget:


"The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size."
- Gertrude S. Wister








2 comments:

  1. Do you happen to know the variety of Prunus mume you have pictured here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really nice semi- double light pink seedling. Not a cultivar that has a name.

    ReplyDelete