Monday, July 19, 2010

On the road to Damascus



When the heat of summer has it's grip tight around the throat of my enthusiasm, it's time to get out, get away, get a cleaner slate in my head. That's when I head to a small corner of north west Georgia to transform myself.

The long mountain ridges stretch out before me, and the roads wind through the lush green valleys. I can feel my breathing slow and deepen. A slim smile replaces pursed lips. I am on the road to a place where nature and creativity join hands, and where I can let go of the lists behind my eyes, and just see. Carl (www.saultopaulstables.com) and Susan (www.susanseydelcofer.com) have made this working farm a work of art. Nature's crafts are honored and kept well tended. But even so, the vision of the artist, the builder, the entrepreneur add a flare, a touch, a surprise around the corner.

The passage to my new person begins with a walk. Closeup, a collage of cedar, poison ivy and resurrection fern.

In the distance, a freshly mowed field full of round hay bales and a single sentinel stone.



Further on we revisit the labyrinth. Joe and I were here for the beginning of this ever evolving creation. It is part of the cleansing to walk the labyrinth methodically, slowly, sincerely; shedding troubles and worries at every turn. The woods gently hold you throughout the journey, and upon turning from inward out, each tree gently lets you go. Wildflowers shout out from fence posts,



chapel bells peal across the pastures. It is not the organized religions of today, but the sacred spirituality of the ancient that calls me back to the beginning.




and the eye of the artist, the eye of the builder have framed it perfectly for me.



The angel trumpets the sound of renewal. I am feeling energized. I am ready to go back to the real world again, with a new level of energy, satisfaction and grace.
This poem by e.e. cummings was part of Katie and Will's wedding service. It most perfectly describes today.

e.e. cummings


i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

No comments:

Post a Comment